Saturday, April 9, 2016

Potato Leek Soup

So here is the recipe that I used as a guide for the Potato Leek soup that I made.  I say “guide,” because I did not use the exact ingredients as this, b/c I try to cook veggie soups and made this one dairy free too (for the Non Dairy types). Also, the proportion of spuds to leeks that  I used was 3 leeks to every 2 baked potato-sized russet potatoes. What I did follow is the idea and procedure for NOT pureeing the soup with a blender, but rather  “rice-ing” the potatoes separately with a food mill.  I have never done this; I usually just put the whole thing in the blender, but this article, and Alton Brown, both talk about how a blender actually breaks up the starch molecules too much and the starch busts out and can make the soup “gummy” or “gluey”.  I think that this is true to a certain extent. 

I also cooked the potatoes separately, by themselves.  This was just so I wouldn’t have to “fish” them out after they were cooked.  If you don’t have a food mill or a potato ricer, you could simply “mash” them. I also added the potato cooking water to the soup (it is a vegetable broth after all).

So do read the attached article.  It is interesting and has a good recipe.  If you want to make the recipe that I made, here are the ingredients:

6 Leeks—Cleaned very well. I do that like this:  
I use most of the green parts too, unless really tough or grundgy
4 TBS butter (olive oil would be ok too)
2 medium large Russet (baker) potatoes--peeled and cut into 2 inch chunks
2 quarts stock (I used veggie stock, but good chicken stock is fine)
Salt
Pepper
Sour cream to garnish

Slice cleaned leeks into 1” slices. Heat butter in a soup pot on medium high heat. Add sliced leeks and sauté. Turn heat down to medium, add 1 tsp salt, and pepper to taste and
slowly sauté or “sweat” the leeks until tender.
In a separate pot, cover the potatoes with water, add salt, and boil on high heat until tender.
When leeks are tender add the stock and stir to combine. Return heat to high and simmer.
When potatoes are tender drain [Reserve cooking liquid] and mash, “rice” or process in a food mill to a fine puree.
Puree soup in a blender (or with a stick blender) until smooth and lovely, return to the pot.  Add potato puree to soup.
Adjust the seasoning, and the consistency using the potato cooking water to create a smooth soup a little thicker than heavy cream.
Garnish with sour cream if desired.

Enjoy!

No comments:

Post a Comment